Tuesday, September 7, 2010

16. He Doesn't Make Me Impress Him

Matthew 15:28


Have you ever met someone famous? If so, do you remember that almost unstoppable urge to do something or say something impressive to get them to like you? We think that if we are talking to someone important, we need to seem important too so that they’ll accept us or think we’re cool. Thing is, if we feel this way about people, how much more so for God Himself? If there’s anyone I need to impress, it would have to be Jesus, right? One woman thought so. She sought Jesus out because she had a problem she couldn’t solve and she thought that if she impressed Him enough, He’d do what she needed, so she called Him by His Kingly title, His Israeli birthright, “Lord, Son of David,” even though she was a foreigner. Jesus didn’t even respond to her. In fact, it wasn’t until she stopped trying to impress Him and just begged for mercy like a little dog begging for scraps from the table that He turned, smiled and did what she needed. I love Jesus because He doesn’t make me fake it or impress Him. He knows I’m desperate and needy and all He requires of me is to know my need of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment