Monday, November 1, 2010

23. He Toasted His Betrayer

John 13:26


Jesus did a strange thing on the night He was betrayed. He toasted His betrayer. Now, it didn’t look like a toast in our culture; but it was. Jesus told His friends one of them would betray Him, and when asked who it would be, He said it would be the one to whom He would give the bread once He had dipped it in the dish. Most folks read right over that little statement, but it’s a big deal. You see, in those days and in that culture, this gesture was a high honor. It was like standing, raising a glass and proposing a toast. So, why would Jesus toast Judas? Jesus was reaching out to him one last time, pleading with him to change his mind. But wait... Jesus knows everything, right? He knew Judas would betray Him, right? It was even prophesied, right? Yes, Jesus knew what Judas was going to do, but still His love reached out to Judas, begging him not to. I love Jesus because His love even pleads with a mind made up for betrayal. Even now, Jesus reaches out to me when He knows the many ways I will turn my back on Him. Still His love pleads with me and appeals to me, knowing that one day I’ll choose Him instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment