Wednesday, June 22, 2011

78. He Believes In You

Matthew 16:18


Do you have people in your life who tear you down and don’t believe in you? Oh dang, I know I just opened a can of worms for some of you. I mean, you can already see their face in your mind’s eye, can’t you? All I had to do was just suggest that thought and BAM! There they are inside your head. I bet some of you can even hear their voices taunting you... “When are you going to get it together?” “Why can’t you ever finish anything?” “You know, this is just like you.” “Well, I didn’t expect much from you anyway.” “Why can’t you be more like _____?” Oh man, you have spent so much time and so much of your life underneath the emotional oppression of that person’s verbal bullying, that you probably don’t even know who you are. Some of you probably spend most of your days contending with a voice in your head that constantly tells you how much you suck. When you begin something, you automatically assume it’s going to be a failure because that one person has never believed in you. I recently heard of a dad in my town who said of his own kid, “You like him? Well, I don’t know what you see in him.” and then he laughed as if this were the funniest thing in the world. Let me tell you something: Jesus sees something in you. Jesus believes in you. Jesus sees possibilities, character traits and talents in you that can change the world when He gets a hold of them and molds them. Jesus looked at the most unlikely punk and said, “Hey, I’m calling you ‘Rock.’ I’m going to build my whole church on you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment