Wednesday, December 14, 2011

126. He Likes You More Than You Do

Mark 16:7


Deep down, all of us struggle in our faith from time to time because some days, we just don’t really know where we stand with God. There is a deep place inside all of us that wonders from time to time if we are really acceptable to God, and even when we get settled on that point, there is still this lingering doubt that plagues us. It goes something like this: “Even if I have been declared technically acceptable in a spiritual sense, I don’t really believe Jesus likes me all that much. I guess I can believe He loves me, but that’s kind of His job, right? I mean, half the time, I don’t even like myself, so why would Jesus?” Have you ever thought those things? You know, after Peter disowned Jesus, he bolted. He fled the scene with tears running down his face and his heart screaming in his chest. He couldn’t believe that he had really just betrayed his best friend! Who would do something like that?! He probably hated himself. He didn’t follow the soldiers to the cross. He was hiding. If he could have hidden away from himself, I believe he would have. I know that feeling, but that feeling isn’t the end of the story. Jesus still wanted Peter. When Jesus came back to life, the angel said, “Tell His disciples and tell Peter...” In other words, this was good news for everyone - and it was also good news specifically for Peter. Jesus wanted to see Him. At the very beginning, Jesus saw a missionary in the fisherman. He saw a cornerstone in the curser and He saw a friend in the failure. He likes you more than you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment