Saturday, April 21, 2012

163. He Was Already Mocked Enough


Do you ever wonder what you’re supposed to feel when you think about Jesus’ suffering and death on the cross? I mean, when we remember the day He died, they call it ‘Good Friday,’ and to be honest, that’s kinda tough because the things that happened on that day so long ago were so awful! It’s easy to lose sight of what’s so ‘good’ about that Friday. A lot of folks who love Jesus don’t really know how to emotionally respond when they read through the final pages of the Gospels. When they read about our Lord being abandoned by His friends, lied about, betrayed, arrested, tried, tortured, mocked and killed, they don’t know what to do. They think, “Am I supposed to be sad? Am I supposed to be thankful, yet solemn?” Well, a couple of days ago I was reading Mark 15 again and it surprised me to see just how much the people made fun of Jesus. They shook their heads at Him, they threw His words back in His face, they spat on Him, they laughed at Him and it was all so angry, derisive and unkind. As I read through it, I didn’t know what to feel. I know Jesus doesn’t want me to feel sorry for Him because He endured that punishment on purpose for me. But what should I feel? And then it hit me - I am going to respond with praise. I am going to lift Him up and worship Him. I decided in that moment that Jesus endured enough ridicule that day. He’s been mocked enough. I want to spend the rest of my days making up for that ridicule by praising Him with all my heart, voice and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment