Sunday, May 27, 2012

173. He Had A Secret


Have you met those kinds of people who never seem to complain about anything, ever? It doesn’t matter how bad it is, these folks will grin and bear it. Now, I’m not one of those people. If I have a hang nail, you’re gonna hear about it. If I start getting sick, I want folks to know, because I want them to treat me in a certain way. I guess I’m just not as strong as those other kinds of folks. I have to admit that those people who never complain about their pains amaze me with their toughness. Jesus endured so many things and never complained once. He didn’t gripe about the trials of being poor and homeless. He didn’t grumble about the many sleepless nights His ministry forced upon Him. And somehow, amazingly, He never made a fuss about the torture He endured surrounding the cross. The Bible says He never uttered any threats and never opened His mouth in complaint during the worst physical treatment human minds have ever conceived. Peter said He was silent. Here’s the thing, though: Jesus didn’t endure the pains of the cross in silence as a show of bravado or great strength. (Don’t get me wrong - He was the strongest and bravest of men) But no, His silence was about something else. See, Jesus was holding on to a beautiful secret. Even though He was being physically destroyed in every way and emotionally torn down, He kept His peace. What was His secret? It was this: He was winning. He was dying as a substitute for me and for you. That pain won the hearts of those He loved. He endured our death gladly so that we could be His.

No comments:

Post a Comment