Wednesday, July 4, 2012

184. He's The Only Quench


Is it arrogant to say there is only one way to God? Christians say that stuff. We say that the only path to God and heaven is through a relationship with Jesus. I guess it sounds arrogant. Probably, for folks who don’t believe in Jesus, it sounds like something a rabid sports fan would say about their favorite team. It probably looks like a bunch of folks painted up at a stadium with their index fingers in the air shouting, “We’re number one!” Thing is, it’s not like that at all. I don’t feel the same way about Jesus that a die-hard Red Sox fan feels about his team or Fenway Park. I feel more like a cancer survivor telling another patient, “Trust me, there’s only one surgeon in the whole world that can heal what you’ve got. Make an appointment.” I’m not bragging or pumping my fist when I say Jesus is the only way. Rather, I’m making a desperate plea to folks who have the same terminal illness I was suffering from. One time Jesus was at a national Jewish festival in Jerusalem and He interrupted the most critical moment to turn the focus onto Himself. It would be like a homeless person calling timeout in the middle of the half-time show at the Super Bowl to make an announcement about himself. This wasn’t like Jesus at all. The high priest was pouring water out of a golden pitcher to signify how God had miraculously provided water in the desert for their ancestors. The whole nation was silently watching and Jesus shouted, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.” Jesus didn’t do that to show off, but because it was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment