Sunday, February 13, 2011

40. He Made The Invisible God Visible

Colossians 1:15


One of the biggest problems people have always had with God is His invisibility. People want to know, “If He is, then where is He?” They say, “If I could see Him, I would believe in Him.” The problem, of course, is that God is so completely different than us, that we can’t possibly understand why it’s not that simple. In the book of Job, in chapters 9 and 10, Job himself captures the heartbeat of this longing and question raised by both skeptics and believers alike when he says things like, “When He passes me, I cannot see Him; when He goes by, I cannot perceive Him... He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer Him, that we might confront each other in court. If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together” Then Job turns directly to God and asks, “Do you have eyes of flesh? Do you see as a mortal sees?” The thing is, God is so absolutely ‘other’ than us, that just having Him show up in a visible form isn’t quite the answer... Or then again, maybe it is. I love Jesus because He was the “image of the invisible God.” Jesus was God in the flesh. If you want to know what God is like, watch Jesus. On His last night before He went to court and death, Jesus looked Philip in the eyes and told him, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment