Sunday, March 20, 2011

50. He Loves The People You Don't

Mark 1:41


Do you remember that feeling of being a kid and then seeing your teachers from school out around town doing normal things like having dinner or grocery shopping? I remember seeing a teacher at a restaurant one time and feeling disoriented and thinking, “Wait... she’s a normal person, just like the rest of us?” I guess I thought teachers lived at school or else were some kind of robot they turned off at the end of the day, and I was shocked to find out they were just humans. We’re all just people, and that’s a terribly important thing. A couple of months ago there was a guy at the jail who was hard to talk to. He was a mess. He smelled bad, had very few teeth, scraggled hair and a patchy four-day beard. He couldn’t exactly look you in the eye when he spoke and could hardly speak without crying. On top of all that, it was very hard to understand what he managed to say because he had been through a couple of brain surgeries that left him barely able to function socially. This is the kind of guy most people ignore completely. The natural reaction is to simply avert your eyes. Here’s the thing: Jesus loves him. Jesus is absolutely crazy, head over heels about this man no one sees. In fact, He gave everything, even His own precious life for this man. Once, a guy filled with leprosy told Jesus, “I know you can heal me. I don’t know if you would want to.” Jesus not only healed Him, but He touched Him and then healed Him. I love Jesus because He loves the people no one else does.

No comments:

Post a Comment