Tuesday, March 22, 2011

51. He Wants To Use The People You Wouldn't

Matthew 9:9


When I was a Junior in High School, I was working out in a P.E. class called athletic conditioning when all of a sudden, the door to the weight room opened and in walked Steve Spurrier. This was 1997 and Spurrier’s Florida Gators had just won the National Championship. The man was at the height of his success. As soon as I saw Coach Spurrier, I knew why he was there. Mike Gipson was in our class. Gipson was a freak athlete who was sure to play football for one of the nation’s best schools. Coach Spurrier walked right past me and every other person in the class and went straight to Mike Gipson. But what if Steve Spurrier had walked in an approached me? Ha! It would be a shock! It would be ridiculous! And yet, Jesus is that way. I love Jesus because He recruits people no one else wants. He uses people everyone else finds unfit. One time he walked up to a man named Matthew and said, “Follow me.” Matthew was a tax collector, which was kind of like being a national traitor, con-man and mafia thug all rolled into one. Matthew was the kind of societal scum everyone loved to hate. Except Jesus. Jesus loved Matthew and wanted to honor him and use him. Jesus had a job for Matthew. In fact, this traitor to the Jewish people wound up writing the Gospel narrative intended just for them. I think Jesus is mainly just looking for people who want to serve. No matter who someone has been or what they’ve done, Jesus wants to use them. And yes, He even has a job for you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment