Monday, May 2, 2011

64. He Wasn's Selfish

Luke 9:24


You know what every single person in the whole stinking world thinks? They think, “If I just had then I would be happy. Now, everyone mentally fills that blank in with different stuff... Some want Ferraris, some want sex, some want nations to bow at their feet and some just want a quiet night at home with a book and a bowl of ice cream. But as a whole, we humans think that happiness comes from getting what we most want. The thought is: If I take care of me, I win. Newsflash: it doesn’t work! The richest and most powerful people in the world are some of the most wretched, confused and depressed souls who have ever lived. Scratch all that. Flip it upside down. Jesus said that pleasing yourself will never give you life. In fact, He said it would make you lose your life. Jesus was and is the King of the Universe, and He could have had it all, but He became poor and served everyone all the time. He said giving your life away actually gives you life and makes you happy. Now follow me on this: if you invent a game, you get to make up the rules, right? You get to say what scores points and what is out-of-bounds. Jesus made the world. He gets to say how it works. Jesus invented the human heart and He is the one who determines what things will make it happy and what won’t. If you live your life trying to get yours, you will be miserable. My friend, try this: ask the Lord to show you someone you can serve. Give your heart to that person and I guarantee you’ll feel something new: joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment