Sunday, May 1, 2011

63. He Kept His Wounds

John 20:27


What are you supposed to do when your life is completely dark and God is totally silent? You ever felt like things have gone miles beyond bad to what seems like the worst possible end, only to find that praying feels like pointlessly shouting at a brick wall? Trust me, I know how that feels. On one of my darkest days, I can remember driving down a backroad highway, tears running down my face and just slamming the pedal down and screaming at the top of my lungs to what felt like no one, “Where are you, and WHY is this happening!?!” In those moments, how are you supposed to know that God loves you, or that He’s even there? You can’t see Him or touch Him, so what are you supposed to do? Well, friends, it’s in those moments you have to remember. Paul told Timothy, “Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead.” You want to know something really cool about when Jesus came back from the dead? He kept His crucifixion wounds. On the third day, He came back to life, renewed, powerful, indestructible, but He chose to keep the scars in His wrists, side and feet. Why would He do that? He was and is perfect in every way, but remains marked by those wounds. Here’s the deal: I think those wounds are like trophies or memorials of the fight He fought to have us and the victory He won. They’re like tattoos. He never wants anyone to forget that He paid to have us because of love. Never forget those wounds. When everything is dark and you aren’t sure of anything, remember and tell yourself this: Jesus died for me and that means He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment