Wednesday, November 20, 2013

316. He Knows We See Dimly



Do you know what it’s like to completely lose your cool and go off on someone, only to find out later that you misread the situation and made a total idiot of yourself? I know I do. If handling situations poorly because of a misunderstanding was an olympic sport, I would have gold medals all over my house. I doubt that I’m the only one, too. We all overreact. We all get really upset. We all know what it’s like to think we have someone figured out, form an opinion about them and then find out later we were totally wrong. The hard thing about this is, we all know that the most important thing is love, but at the same time, we aren’t always very good at loving people. In 1 Corinthians 13, the Apostle Paul famously says, “If I have not love, I am nothing.” The really interesting thing is that at the end of that chapter, he goes onto say that right now, we don’t see everything very clearly. He says, “we see only a reflection, as in a mirror.” Back in the day, they didn’t have nice, clear mirrors as we do. They looked in polished sheets of bronze, which gives a very poor reflection. In fact, the word translated ‘reflection’ is actually the word “enigma” which means a puzzle. We are trying to love, but we don’t always understand things very well. Sometimes life is an enigma, a puzzle, and Jesus gets that. I want to grow in love. I want to get better at loving people and responding to people, and while I’m in that process, it’s comforting to know that Jesus understands the fact that I don’t see everything clearly yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment