Saturday, March 31, 2012

157. He's Going To shake This World

Hebrews 12:26


How can you know if the stuff you care about really matters? How can you determine whether or not you’re wasting your life or else wisely investing your life? This past week I was in Chicago, and when we went downtown, I found myself staring around with wide-eyed astonishment at all of the buildings. You see, I live in a small town with only a handful of buildings that have more than three stories. So, you can imagine the kind of awe and wonder I experience when I go to big cities and see those gargantuan towers of steel, glass and stone. No matter how many times I go there, I gasp with amazement as I imagine the amount of planning and work that must have gone into the design, the infrastructure and the artistic beauty of those buildings. On the very morning we went downtown, I was reading Mark 13 where Jesus and His boys were in downtown Jerusalem and the disciples were marveling at all the magnificent buildings. Jesus says, “Do you see all these great buildings? Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.” This world is going to be shaken one day soon, and when God shakes it, lots of things are going to topple into ruin and be eternally forgotten. Much of human effort and art will expire. Man’s accomplishment and pride will decay. It turns out that human awe is largely misplaced, and the question is this: Am I giving my life to things that will survive the Great Shaking Day? After everything is shaken, God and people will remain. Love will survive. The Gospel will be intact. Are you living for the unshakable?

No comments:

Post a Comment