Sunday, April 3, 2011

54. He Tells Me Who I Am Now

John 16:27


Has anyone in the world ever taken a good driver’s license photo? I think not. It’s as if the DMV and the local jail both hire the same photographer for mugshots and license pics. Mugshots capture a person at their absolute worst moment and then memorialize it. My friend Tom and I do a Bible study in a local jail every week and one of the most interesting things is going back and seeing a guy’s mugshot after God has been working in his life for a while. It’s like looking at two completely different people. We see guys filled with joy and love, who give out hugs and smile with their whole faces, but when you go back and see that mugshot, it’s like a whole other person from an alternate universe. The work of Satan in your life is to always remind you of that mugshot. He loves to tell you who you were. The Bible calls him “the adversary” and “the accuser” and all day long, he goes around reminding you of your old sins, slinging mud at your life to get you down and depressed and feeling worthless. I love Jesus because, while Satan tries to tell me who I was, Jesus tells me who I am. He tells me God loves me and that I am forgiven and clean. He tells me I am brand new and am a child of God. He tells me I’ll never come into judgment, but have already crossed over from death into life. He tells me I’m His and that no one will ever snatch me out of His hand. When I’m listening to Jesus’ voice, the mugshot doesn’t matter because I know who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment