Sunday, February 12, 2012

143. He Wants Dependents

Luke 18:17


Did you ever wonder why Jesus said that you have to receive the kingdom of heaven like a child or you’ll never enter it? Maybe you don’t wonder about that at all... Maybe you’ve heard pastors or Sunday School teachers or Bible-ish folks talk about that before. Maybe you’ve heard them say that in order to enter the kingdom of heaven, you have to have a child-like faith or something like that. I’ve heard all that stuff... that children are more trusting - that they easily believe what they’re told and that they are so pure and innocent and receiving the kingdom of heaven is about that stuff. Thing is, since I heard so many people tell me that stuff, I thought Jesus was only interested in people who are pure and innocent and just blindly trusting. And then something happened that changed the way I saw the whole thing: I actually had some kids of my own. You see, when I had kids, I realized that kids aren’t pure or innocent or even all that trusting! Kids are just like the rest of us! Then I went and looked that Scripture up for myself and realized Jesus isn’t talking about kids, but babies. Turns out these people brought babies to Him. Jesus was saying you had to be like a little-bitty baby to get into heaven. Folks, the number one thing you realize about a baby when you hold it in your arms is how completely helpless it is. A baby is first and foremost dependent. In order to enter the kingdom of heaven, you have to get to the place where you know that you are completely and utterly dependent on Jesus for everything all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment